Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"I've become my Mom"!

I know this phrase usually gets a bad wrap.  But, I know lots of ways I've said it that aren't demeaning but enduring.  It's been a joy and an honor to see myself develop some of the wonderful characteristics of my mother.

I'm not sure today's experience of thinking this started off with such enduring thoughts.

I remember when I was little that my dad teased my mom about folding the laundry before putting in the dryer.. after removing it from the washer.  I remember thinking about this as a teenager and deciding it was one more neurotic behavior of my mother that I WASN'T ever going to repeat.  (it's a teenagers job to see a mother's diligence and attention to detail as neurotic... right?)

Well.  Today, I became neurotic.  You know how "in" jeans are a darker wash.. and thicker material?  Well, as lovely as they are and as much as I love oogling at my husband in his.. and prancing around in mine.  They drive me NUTS!

I can't seem to get them to come out of the dryer without the legs being all crinkled and twisted.  And I am NOT going to go as far into the land of the neurotic as to IRON jeans!  No. 

So, I decided to dip my toe in by following my mother's folding of the clothing before drying them.  "I've become my mother" I thought to myself. 

Well, it worked.  They came out straight and un-crinkled.  They look wonderful.  All the better to oogle at and prance around in.  Neurotic-ness wins.

And, to be fair to my mom.  When I finally got around to asking her about this habit of folding clothes before putting them in the dryer (well, actually I think I was attempting to make fun of her) she informed me that she NEVER did that.  She would simply shake things out and instead of wad them back up she'd fold it in half or something before throwing it into the dryer. 

So, my "I've become my mom" thought may have started as an, "Oh great!" kind of thought.. but definitely turned into thinking how wonderful she was for putting such attention into the laundry swap so as to make sure clothes came out needing the least amount of straightening. 

Just goes to show that no matter how old I am.  No matter how long it's been since my mom "trained" me in the art of housework.  She still knows best. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the title of this one quickly got my attention! Thank you for your fun, kind words. I can't wait until dad reads this one too! Glad to know that it helped with your prancing around! I love you so much your funny funny woman! Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see her fold them. It doesn't matter what she called it.

    I would have never imagined that they would have been helped by folding prior to be mixed around in the hot dryer for all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol.. I love you Dad. I didn't mean to sound like I was calling you out for making erroneous statements about Mom's neurotic-ness. I believe you. And I believe her. It is exactly like you said.. "no matter what she called it". You two are great.

    I think that it must be like anything else. The more you go into the situation prepared for at least what you know to expect.. the better you come out of it.

    I knew they would come out wrinkled. So I gave them the straightest-ness that I could going into it. ;)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete